Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Collector's Space - What I Collect

If you missed my post on Why I Collect Vinylmation, you might be interested in checking it out. This post will cover which vinyls I collect vinyls or in other words, how I make decisions on which vinyls to add to my collection.



If you read my last Collector's Space post, you'll know that seeing Park #4 vinyls is what got me interested in taking up this hobby. You'll also know that I collect vinyls because they mean a lot to me. That's the reason why I exclusively collect Park Series vinyls. I wanted to bring Walt Disney World home with me and Park Series vinyls allow me to do that very easily. Other vinyls might have meaning to me (favorite character for example) but that's not enough for me to want to add them to my collection a lot of the time.

OK, but there are 132 Park Series vinyls released right now... and what about Theme Park Favorites? Park Starz?



I should say more. Also, within the Park Series, I only collect vinyls that I have a connection too and also LOVE. That's an important distinction. I'd like to point out here that whilst I find people who own hundreds of vinyls very impressive, I do not have the money or the space to display so many vinyls myself. I am not aiming to have hundreds of vinyls. I have to be very picky with the money and space available to me. I won't buy a vinyl of Spectromagic Mickey, just because I've seen Spectromagic for instance. I have to have a connection to the vinyl, it needs to mean something to me and I have to love the design. (You will see and hear more about why I've bought certain vinyls in upcoming topics).

Rules are made to be broken...



Having said all of that, if vinyls come along that in my eyes tie in to Parks, that's good enough for me to buy them if I love them. The whole point in collecting for me is to remember Walt Disney World, so if a non-Park vinyl reminds me of WDW, I will buy it if I want it. But that has rarely happened to far and again, I will talk more about that in future posts.

And finally...

I only collect 3". If you've been paying attention, you'll see that I already own a 9" vinyl and 1 Jr. vinyl. They are the exceptions to the rule. I don't collect Jrs simply because I'm not that interested in them. The small size means there's not a lot of detail most of the time (in my opinion), they're not often park related and to be honest I don't understand the keychain aspect. I see them more as collectible keychains, not Vinylmations. As for the 9", I don't have the space (as I've already mentioned) and to be honest, I haven't loved any enough to want to buy them, especially at that price. With one exception, which is how I ended up with a 9". The Jr. came with a 3" and that's how I came to own a Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment